What Do I Pay?
The following fees and monthly charges apply. Charges are subject to change without notice. Additional fees may apply.
Application & Reservation Fees
The following fees are due in full at the time of application and are required in order to reserve an apartment. We will accept payment by check, money order, cashiers check or major credit/debit card for all reservation fees.
- Application Fee: Steve Brown Apartments does not charge application fees.
- Earnest Money: $300 is due in full at the time of application and is required in order to reserve an apartment until the application process is complete. Earnest Money will be applied towards your security deposit, the remainder of your security deposit will be due at the time of your lease signing.
If the application is rejected by management the Earnest Money will be refunded in full. If the application is approved and the applicant fails to sign a lease, management will retain the Earnest Money.
Move In Fees
The following fees are due prior to move in. We will accept payment by check, money order, cashiers check or major credit/debit card for all move in fees.
- First Month’s Installment: One month’s installment is due in full on August 1st.
- Security Deposit: A security deposit, which is equal to one month’s rent, is due at lease signing. (As noted above, $300 of this payment comes from the Earnest Money that you previously paid.)
Monthly Recurring Charges
We accept checks, money orders, cashiers checks, electronic funds transfers from your bank account, or Visa, Mastercard and Discover for all monthly recurring charges.
- Rent Installment: The monthly rent you pay is variable, per your lease agreement.
- Facilities Fee: $32 per adult to cover your usage of heat, water, sewer, unlimited laundry, Internet, and common areas.
- Utilities: You will be responsible for the electric service in your apartment. Heat is included.
Installments and fees are due on the first of each month.
Wired Internet, with speeds up 1 Gig, is included for each apartment, and wireless Internet is included in the lounge on each floor. You’re welcome to add your own wireless router for your apartment, otherwise you’ll need an Ethernet cable to connect.
One Time Fees
Additional one time fees may occur during the length of your lease, including: sublet fees, late rent payment fees, lost key/lock change fees, NSF fees from bounced checks and other potential fines as outlined in your lease.
Please note that additional third-party fees apply for all credit/debit card payments.
Cats*, Fish, and Caged Birds are welcome! Dogs and exotic pets are not allowed. Cats must be neutered or spayed. Maximum of 2 cats, $40/mo. per cat. No additional deposit is required. We ask that all pets who will be living or visiting your residence be disclosed. Qualified service animals are always welcome.
*Please note that no cats are permitted on the 4th floor of Lucky. Thank you!
Steve Brown Apartments requires that each resident maintain a renters insurance policy, with a minimum limit of liability for bodily injury and property damage of $100,000, throughout the term of their lease. We also require that you name SBA Management Services as an “Additional Interested Party” on the policy.
How much does renters insurance cost? Most policies cost less than $15 per month. This small monthly bill can protect you from accidents that could end up costing you tens of thousands of dollars in damages.
Why should I carry renters insurance? To protect you from a variety of accidents and losses, especially the very expensive ones we see almost every year. For example, in early 2013 a resident accidentally released the fire sprinkler valve in their unit and caused $40,000 in damage to their belongings, their apartment, their neighbor’s apartment, and the common areas in their building. Fortunately this resident had renters insurance and the damages were covered by their policy instead of out of their pocket.
What does a renters insurance policy generally cover?
- Theft, such as stolen notebook computers, or a missing package from UPS, FedEx, etc.
- Damage from smoke, lightening, windstorms, or hail
- The vandalism or theft of your bike or damage to your property by a vehicle
- Water damage caused to the property and your personal items from overflowing toilets and tubs
- Liability for bodily injury to other persons
How do I get a renters insurance policy? Simply add the policy with the company that holds your vehicle insurance, or call the insurance agent (or agency) of your choice. If you don’t have a preferred insurance provider you’re encouraged to consider ResidentInsure. All of our properties are pre-approved for coverage so you can sign up in less than five minutes. Click here to get started: www.residentinsure.com
Can I wait until I’ve moved in to start my coverage? Per our lease agreement, all residents without insurance on their move in day will be added to our master policy and the charge for renters insurance coverage will be added to your account. Once we have proof of independent coverage we’ll remove you from the master policy.
Residents at Lucky are responsible for setting up the utilities for their apartment prior to move-in. These are the current service providers available at Lucky:
- Electricity Provider: Madison Gas & Electric · 608-252-7222
- Telephone Provider: ResTech Services · 608-663-3868
- TV Provider: ResTech Services · 608-663-3868
Satellite dishes cannot be attached to the building. ResTech Services uses a central building-wide connection to provide an option for Directv service.
You should call MG&E at least one week (but no more than one month) prior to the start date of your lease to arrange for the service to be transferred to your name.
At Steve Brown Apartments, we hope your move-in experience will be a positive one. In order to help you with your move-in arrangements, we encourage you to use this checklist.
Before the Move
- Renter’s Insurance is required. If you do not want to be enrolled in our master Renter’s Insurance Policy please send us a copy of your insurance certificate. Insurance fees for those enrolled in our master policy will be added to your first installment payment.
- Be sure the total of earnest money and security deposit due for your apartment is paid on or before you arrive. Keys will not be issued unless your security deposit and first month’s rent are paid in full.
- Set up all necessary utilities for your new apartment home in your name, effective for your move-in date (you’ll need to coordinate this with your roommates).
- If you’re moving in during late August, and you are arriving during our normal office hours, you do not need to make a move-in appointment. If you are moving in during a different month, or are arriving after hours, please ensure that you have scheduled a time for your lease signing and your move in day with your Resident Relations Coordinator.
- During the course of the year we are happy to accept your packages for you at our offices. We are unable offer this service during the August move-in rush and we cannot accept packages for you before you move-in.
- If you are still in need of parking, there is a good chance we have spaces available. Call our offices today at 608-237-2777 to secure a spot.
Day of the Move
Your Move in Day: There are multiple August move in days at Lucky. Please check your lease for your start date. You can move in on that day (or later), starting at 8:00 a.m.
Where You’ll Check In: The Lucky Leasing office on the P2 level at 777 University Ave. You’ll drive into our parking garage (enter on W. Johnson St., look for the sign) and enter the lobby through the large red doors located on the first (P2) parking level.
- Your move in orientation will generally take less than fifteen minutes. We’ll make sure all balances are paid and provide you with your key card and all of the other necessities you’ll need.
- Please fill out and return your move-in inspection sheet. This form is to protect your security deposit – write down any problems at the beginning to help avoid charges at the end of your lease!
- Please make sure all of your keys work and your door locks are working.
About Your Apartment
Here is some additional information to help you once you’re settled in:
Policies and Guidelines
- You are responsible for providing light bulbs for all fixtures and batteries for your smoke detector.
- NEVER hang items from the sprinkler heads in your apartment. The seal will break open and hundreds of gallons of water will spill onto your belongings.
- It’s recommended that you purchase an extra long shower curtain liner to avoid water damage in your bathroom.
- It is recommended that you have a plunger for your toilet and hair traps for shower drains. You are responsible for maintaining free running drains. Please do not flush anything other than toilet paper.
- Please don’t overload your electrical outlets. This practice causes circuit breakers to blow, and in some cases can cause fire.
- You must keep the hallways in the buildings common areas clear to keep other residents safe.
- Be a good neighbor. If you see something suspicious please report it to the authorities or to us. Also make sure you don’t prop open security locked building entrances.
- If you leave your apartment unattended for more than a day or two please take these precautions: In the summer, turn off the A/C. In the winter, set your heat to at least 60 degrees so the pipes won’t freeze. Always lock all doors and windows and remove any trash.
- Trash should be taken to the provided trash room on each floor on a regular basis. Please do not leave trash in the hallway or grounds. You will be fined if you are doing so.
- Recycling is mandatory in Madison. Lucky works with a private company that uses single stream (mixed) recycling so you do not need to sort recyclables. Please visit the city’s website for complete details on which items may be recycled.
Maintenance and Emergency Procedures
- Emergency & Non-Emergency Maintenance: Non-emergency maintenance requests can be completed online using your Resident Portal or you can reach us by phone 24/7. All emergency maintenance notifications should be made by phone, we’re available 24/7. Please call 608-237-2777.
- Critical Emergencies: If you experience a critical emergency such as a fire or gas leak, call the appropriate authority first: Police and fire, call 911. Gas or electricity emergency, call MGE at 608-252-7111. After the authorities have been notified please also call our offices at 608-237-2777.
Some apartments at Lucky come with a speedcook Advantium® Oven by GE. These ovens deliver oven-quality food up to four times faster than a conventional oven does, and perform as a convection oven, sensor microwave oven and a warming/proofing oven.